- British Theatre "It felt like a privilege having this life story shared with us, and after hearing the story, her strength and pride shine through." Read more...
- To Do List "Told with warmth and humour, but not dodging some hard-hitting aspects of growing up deaf in a hearing world, Sealey’s story – and her performance – are as captivating as they are inspirational..." Read more...
- West End Best Friend "An amazing life story from an amazing woman. Sealey is a beautifully honest, funny storyteller." Read more...
- The Stage ""...in this fully accessible show – she is a warm, captivating presence as she shares her secret."" Read more...
- Binge Fringe "Powerful, sentimental, ephemeral, and fleeting. Self-Raising offers a beautiful glimpse into a life of conforming, overcoming and unravelling." Read more...
- Ed Fest Magazine ""...creates an atmosphere of inclusivity across the audience that moves you."" Read more...
- The Scotsman "Sealey, who has led Graeae since 1997, is more used to directing than performing, but is nonetheless at home on stage, frank, funny and moving."
- Fringe Review "The result is an inclusive, engaging and through provoking performance about family dynamics, something which most of us have personal experience of." Read more...
To Do List
West End Best Friend
A Graeae production in association with Soho Theatre and Theatr Iolo. Developed with The Incubator at The Egg, Theatre Royal Bath.
Written by Mike Kenny and Jenny Sealey.
Directed by Lee Lyford.
2 – 27 August at Pleasance Dome, Edinburgh.
‘It starts with a secret. It’s a real secret and I had to keep it for a long time.’
Growing up Deaf in a family with a secret concealed from both her and her siblings, shaped Jenny Sealey’s childhood. Discovering the truth a few years ago, she was sent into a spin as she realised that her life could have been so very different. Now, the award-winning Artistic Director of disabled-led theatre company Graeae is ready to share her experience with an audience in Self-Raising, a blisteringly honest, reflective, and often laugh-out-loud funny one-woman show.
Having spent a lifetime championing stories by Deaf and disabled artists, Jenny takes to the stage to tell her own. Self-Raising is presented by Graeae in association with Soho Theatre and Theatr Iolo, and was developed with The Incubator at The Egg, Theatre Royal Bath
All performances will creatively integrate BSL, AD and Captions.
Check out the trailer!
Jenny says: “It is a huge privilege to perform on stage after years of being the director. I am nervous and excited. Thank you to Graeae, Theatr Iolo and Soho Theatre for this opportunity to take the audience on a journey through my story, which is one many can relate to”
Running time: 60 minutes
Age guidance: 14+
Content warnings: The show contains potentially distressing themes, including a reference to abuse, strong language and audience interaction.