As a result of the government’s advice regarding Covid-19, Graeae’s Bradbury Studios will be closed to the public for the time being. This means the next Crips with Chips will not take place on Monday 20 April as planned.
However, the event will be going ahead once we have the all-clear, and will feature work from Deaf and disabled writers on the subject of eugenics. The submission window for pieces has now closed.
Keep an eye on website and social media channels for details of when the scratch-night will be going ahead.
Stay well, keep writing and we look forward to welcoming you to Bradbury Studios soon.
Crips with Chips is a scratch night putting Deaf and disabled writers centre-stage. Every other month we’ll be presenting four script-in-hand readings of new work at our award-winning and fully accessible Bradbury Studios in East London. All work will be captioned and we are looking at how we will be adding audio description over time.
Previous participants include gobscure (JOEY – New Wolsey Theatre Testing Ground commission 2019), Karen Featherstone (winner of a Northern Writers’ Award), Lettie Precious (winner of a Royal Court and Kudos Fellowship 2019) and Nicola Werenowska (SILENCE, Mercury and national tour, 2018; co-writer AMY DORRIT, BBC Radio 4, 2019).
- Crips with Chips is an accessible scratch night aiming to identify and champion Deaf and/or disabled playwrights. We therefore only consider submissions from writers who identify as Deaf and/or disabled
- Plays must respond directly to the topic of eugenics
- Plays must not have been performed elsewhere
- Plays may have any number of characters but please be aware that you will only be able to use a maximum of three actors
- Plays must be submitted by the writer and not through a third party/agent
- Graeae will cast the actors
- Graeae will be accepting submissions from 10am on Tuesday, 25 February until 11.59pm (GMT) Sunday 29 March 2020. Any entries received after this time will not be eligible
- Graeae will accept entries by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by post to Josh Elliott, Graeae Theatre Company, Bradbury Studios, 138 Kingsland Rd, London E2 8DY
- Adaptations are not eligible
- Plays must be written/translated into the English Language. Submissions in BSL are also welcome.
- Plays (including translations) must never have been professionally optioned, produced or published at the point of submission
- Only one script may be submitted by each writer
- Graeae must be informed immediately should you wish to withdraw your play at any point
By submitting a script for consideration you agree that:
- You identify as Deaf and/or disabled
- You are over 16 years of age
- You are the writer of the play and exclusively own and control all copyright and all other related rights to the play
- You must be available to attend the scratch night (date TBC) and a half-day workshop
- The play must be no longer than 20 minutes (roughly 20 pages) in length
- The play must be a direct response to the topic of eugenics
- The play or extract is original, unperformed, unpublished work for the stage and has not been produced anywhere in the world
If you are selected, you will receive £116 on the understanding that you will attend both the half-day workshop on your piece and the scratch night.
For any further information, please email email@example.com
We look forward to reading your plays!
TICKETS FOR OUR NEXT SCRATCH NIGHT WILL BE ON SALE SOON!
Join us for a big night out with new writing at its heart. There will be snacks, drinks, live music/DJ and all four pieces will be captioned.
Where: Graeae’s Bradbury Studios
‘I’m really excited we’re launching Crips with Chips. As a theatre maker, rehearsed readings are difficult to access physically and we have limited experience of them. To begin with, we’ll be focussing on our Write to Play alumni providing a platform for their work. I’m excited to see what happens and to eat chips of course!’ Nickie-Miles Wildin, Associate Director