Graeae is a force for change in world-class theatre, boldly placing D/deaf and disabled actors centre stage and challenging preconceptions.
‘A Company that refuses to be relegated to the sidelines’ Lyn Gardner, The Guardian
Graeae presents a unique approach which:
- Boldly places D/deaf and disabled artists centre-stage in a diversity of new and existing plays
- Pioneers a radical dramatic language by exploring the “aesthetics of access”, creatively embedding a range of tools such as audio description and sign language from the very beginning of the artistic process
- Explores new territory and theatrical genres – from contemporary classics to musicals, to outdoor circuit… with sway poles and giant puppets!
Graeae champions the inclusion of D/deaf and disabled people in the arts through:
- Intensive actor and writer training initiatives
- Access support for creative and learning situations
- Empowering workshops and training programmes for young artists, led by inspiring role models
- A range of training models for the creative sector – from inclusive practice for drama schools, through to accessible e-marketing for theatre venues
Worked with Graeae before as an actor, artist, member of staff, freelancer or access worker? Join our new online community below: