Reasons to be Cheerful
- The Stage "It feels fresher than ever in this new touring version… Sealey’s production is one of glorious anarchy. Far from being an add-ons, the creative integration of sign language, audio description and captioning adds to the theatricality." Read more...
- The Sunday Times "The music is brilliant and there are moments of pure punk genius."
- What's On Live "An exhilarating, hugely entertaining, rollercoaster ride of a live experience. " Read more...
- Reviews Hub "Loud, exuberant and thoroughly enjoyable…you’ll be leaving the theatre with a very big grin on your face." Read more...
- East Midlands Theatre "As a patron of Graeae in his life, [Ian Dury] would be very proud of this extraordinary show directed by Jenny Sealey. We whole-heartedly implore you to go and see it." Read more...
- Time Out "Rough, ready and bloody brilliant."
- The Guardian "The stage gives off a million volts."
Sep – Nov 2017
visiting Coventry, Derby, Southampton, Ipswich, Leeds, Liverpool & London.
Full tour dates & booking information
at bottom of page.
NEW SONG ‘If It Can’t Be Right Then It Must Be Wrong’
by Chaz Jankel, Derek Hussey and John Kelly to be performed at each show and available for download for ticket holders.
Click here to read more.
Celebrating the infectious music of Ian Dury and the Blockheads, REASONS TO BE CHEERFUL is a punk rock musical and gritty coming of age tale, which always leaves audiences shouting for more. Featuring Ian Dury and the Blockheads’ greatest hits including Sex and Drugs and Rock and Roll, Sweet Gene Vincent, Spasticus Autisticus and Hit Me with your Rhythm Stick this acclaimed show will fill the theatre with raucous glee.
Knock me down with a feather…
It’s 1979: Labour loses to the Tories, strikes rock the nation and Ian Dury and the Blockheads’ Reasons to be Cheerful (Part 3) climbs the charts. As the ultimate fans, Vinnie and his mates would do anything to see Dury at the Hammersmith Odeon, only the gig is sold out. But life has a habit of throwing strange things at you, and one night of frustration becomes something else entirely…
Let’s ‘ave it! Following nationwide tours, concert versions across the world and a performance at the London 2012 Paralympic Games Opening Ceremony, REASONS TO BE CHEERFUL is back on the road one last time!
‘I’m so excited for everyone who will see Reasons to Be Cheerful for the first time on this 2017 tour, you are in for a treat. I love it – it’s energizing, it’s moving and it’s enormous fun.’ Jemima Dury
‘It is amazing to think that 37 years after Ian and I wrote Reasons to be Cheerful (Part 3), the song still has such an impact and sounds so fresh. The respect they have for Ian’s lyrics and lust for life is undeniable. If Ian were alive I am sure he would be laughing his head off and applauding the bravura of this very talented ensemble. Congratulations and thank you to everyone involved.’ Chaz Jankel
All performances include captioned dialogue, BSL-interpreted songs and audio description.
Age Recommendation 14+
Supported by Arts Council England
Originally produced by Graeae Theatre Company, New Wolsey Theatre Ipswich and Theatre Royal Stratford East.
West Yorkshire Playhouse 12 October at 1.30pm (Matinee)
Theatre Royal Stratford East 2 November 1:30pm (Matinee)
For anyone who needs a clear view of the projected text is advised to buy central stalls seats – or the equivalent.